Thanks for asking.
It’s going great! Wish I could practice more. Here’s what I’ve found:
- Memorizing is harder than when I was a kid but not impossible. If I practiced more, I’d have a lot more stuff memorized.
- I don’t have the attention span to work on long, difficult pieces. If I had more time…
- Balancing between mastering pieces and sight-reading is my biggest challenge. I could spend a lifetime just working my way through this book:
- Nobody cares that I play, and that’s fine. It’s not like every house I visit has a piano, and people are dying to hear a little Bach. That might have been the case 80 years ago when Cooke wrote Playing the Piano for Pleasure, but not anymore.
- I’m definitely expanding my repertoire — more Brahms, more Schubert, more Debussy, more Lennon & McCartney.
- I bought a book of scales and chords with a firm purpose of improving my technique and my music theory. Can’t say I’ve made much progress, though.